We were having a large number of people over to the house for a Sunday Brunch and wanted to serve dishes that required minimum active work time. Who wants to be in the kitchen cooking when the house is full of people? Rather then stand at the stove and cook individual items I used some recipes where you can quickly assemble all the ingredients and just pop the dish in the oven. Spanish Sausage and Cheese Bake is the perfect brunch dish, assemble the ingredients, bake for less than 30 minutes (with other dishes in the oven at the same time) and then serve from the baking dish. I was able to serve delicious food and spend time with my guests.
Spanish Sausage and Cheese Bake
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, small dice
1 red pepper, small dice
12 ounces chorizo
10 large eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh black pepper
1 ½ cups (about 6 ounces) grated Mexican Cheese mix, divided – a bag from the grocery
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Pre heat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 2 Quart baking dish.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the onion and pepper till translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Saute chorizo until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, salt, pepper, onion, chorizo, 1 cup cheese and cilantro.
- Stir in onion and pepper mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake till the top is golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Vegetarian option: Use a soy based chorizo, such as Trader Joe’s.